Monday, January 21, 2013

Rambling: The aches of writing

It's MLK weekend.  We get Monday off (woohoo!), so you know what that means... 3-day weekend!  I'm in New York City, where all the action is - the parties, the brunches, the late night movies, the bars.  I have plenty of options for entertainment, right?  YES.

But... I'm behind on my manuscript.  I can go out and have a good time this weekend.  Or, I can stay at home to write and edit to my heart's content.  I choose the latter.

Today is Monday, Day Three.  I have spent almost every moment of this 3-day weekend sitting in front of my computer, writing, editing, or doing something related.  And although this may be t.m.i., my derriere is sore from sitting.  I've tried to lessen the soreness by sitting down only when typing and standing as I read over my MS.  I am even sitting on a pillow on top of the chair.

Who knew writing could also be exhausting?  Since I started writing this post, I have gotten up to massage myself twice, and right now, I am typing while standing up.  I guess it doesn't help that I have a full-time sedentary job.  Not only am I sitting for eight hours a day at work, but I come home to do it again.  To top it all off, my social life has been in a decline since I began to dedicate all my free time to writing this MS.  The mental blocks come every now and then, but I review my index cards (which I use for scene sequence) and it all comes back.

So to sum it all up, I have a sore behind, I haven't seen some of my NYC friends in like a year, and my mind is going bananas.  It's all good though.  My MS isn't going to write itself.

Gotta keep my mind on the prize.

-Mariela

Dor shook his head.  "You are mistaken.  I am a small and shunned person."
"Man rarely knows his own power," the old man said. - Mitch Albom, The Time Keeper

No comments:

Post a Comment