Thursday, February 7, 2013

Book News: The Book Thief is coming to film!

The 280-week bestselling novel The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is going to be adapted into an English-language film by Fox 2000 and is expected to release  in the U.S. in January 2014.

As soon as I heard about this, my jaw dropped to the floor.  If you have not read The Book Thief yet, I will just say that is my absolute most favorite book in the entire universe!  Of course I am super stoked about this movie!  Enough about me, and now to more news.

The film will be produced by Karen Rosenfelt (Twilight 2008, New Moon 2009, Eclipse 2010) and Ken Blancato.  Production is scheduled to begin this month in Berlin, Germany.  Brian Percival (Downton Abbey, 2010-2012) will be directing the film.  This sounds amazing already!

And, the five main leads have been cast:

Photo Credit: Denis Beaumont, The Canadian Press Images
Sophie Nélisse as Liesel Meminger
She played "Alice L'Écuyer" in Monsieur Lazhar (2011).


Photo: Andrew Meares
Geoffrey Rush as Hans Hubermann
Rush earned a Oscar nomination for his role in The King’s Speech (2010).


Photo:  Reuters/Carlo Allegri
Emily Watson as Rosa Hubermann
Watson recently played “Countess Lydia Ivanova”  in Anna Karenina (2012).


Photo:  Agentur Walcher
Nico Liersch as  Rudy Steiner


Photo:  Wolf Marloh
 Ben Schnetzer as Max Vandenburg

If you would like to read more info about the book, check out my review.

Can you tell I am beyond excited?!!!!

-Mariela

No comments:

Post a Comment