Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Book Review: ALTERED by Jennifer Rush



4.5 out of 5 hearts

Lately, I have been trying to keep up with the books that are mentioned all over the web.  This is one of those.  Let me just tell you, I didn't even have a chance to change my "currently reading" image on my blog because I read this so fast.  We're talking a day and a half.  

Anna's dad, Arthur, is a doctor/scientist that is working on a group of young men that are locked up in his secret lab in the basement.  These young men's biological compositions have been altered to create the next generation of super soldiers by the Branch, at the expense of their freedom and memories - all of them had their memories wiped clean.  Anna discovered them a few years ago, but until 8 months ago, was forbidden entrance to the lab.  Now, she helps her Dad with this studies and has developed feelings for them, especially for the leader Sam.  Unexpectedly, the Branch decides it is time to take the boys away and Sam is able to escape, liberating the other three boys and forcing Anna to escape with them.

Since their minds are wiped clean, none of the boys can remember life outside of the lab.  But Sam has left clues to his past, including markings on his body.  Together, they are on the run form the Branch and in a race against time to find the truth behind their alterations and Sam's past.  However, they discover that Anna is connected to them in more ways than their time in the lab.  She find out that her life was all a fraud and the Branch wants her, needs her.

I had no expectations for this book.  Really, I didn't know what it was about before I started to read it.  Like I stated, I read it because it was all over the web.  Rush came through and blew me away.  In the beginning, I assumed it was going to take a while to get into it, but no.  Rush made things happen immediately   I was clinging to the pages and flipped through them at the speed of light.  A lot happened, but the connections and transitions were extremely clear and carefully planned out of Rush.  

It truly was like watching an action movie on paper.  Rush even included some thrilling surprises.  And the romance is believably great.

Ready, set, GO!

-Mariela
"I'd always cared for him, loved him even, but risking your life for someone changes things.  It wasn't just love.  It was a million other things all woven together.  Emotions I couldn't even name." - Jennifer Rush, Altered

Altered by Jennifer Rush

Hardcover, First Edition, 323 pages
Published January 1st 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
ISBN 0316197084 (ISBN13: 9780316197083)

No comments:

Post a Comment