Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Book Watch: DARK COMPANION by Marta Acosta


Dark Companion by Marta Acosta will be released on June 11, 2013 as a trade paperback.  It was originally released as a hardcover on July 3, 2012.  It's not technically a new release, but I wanted to add it to your radar anyways.

Two reasons make me excited about reading this book this book ASAP.  First, it is summarized as "Jane Eyre meets Twilight".  How great does that sound?  Second, it is categorized as a "lush and romantic Gothic YA" read.  If you know me, I am not a sucker for romance but lush and Gothic does it for me.  
Orphaned at the age of six, Jane Williams has grown up in a series of foster homes, learning to survive in the shadows of life. Through hard work and determination, she manages to win a scholarship to the exclusive Birch Grove Academy. There, for the first time, Jane finds herself accepted by a group of friends. She even starts tutoring the headmistress’s gorgeous son, Lucien. Things seem too good to be true.
They are.
The more she learns about Birch Grove’s recent past, the more Jane comes to suspect that there is something sinister going on. Why did the wife of a popular teacher kill herself? What happened to the previous scholarship student, whose place Jane took? Why does Lucien’s brother, Jack, seem to dislike her so much?
As Jane begins to piece together the answers to these puzzles, she must find out why she was brought to Birch Grove—and what she would risk to stay there….
On Goodreads, this book has a 3.57 rating.  But, I am still intrigued by the synopsis and reviews of my Goodreads friends that I am still going to give it a shot and read it.  Already on my hold list at my local library - you know how roll.

-Mariela

Dark Companion by Marta Acosta

Paperback, 368 pages
Expected publication: June 11th 2013 by Tor Teen (first published July 3rd 2012)
ISBN 0765329654




No comments:

Post a Comment